May 29, 2012

when it rains, it pours. also, it's almost showtime!

well, in 48 hours i have my full-length choreographic debut in new york city.

(that is FOR SURE one of those things that if my 16-year-old self knew would be happening in ten years, she would probably have passed out.)

it's been a journey, for sure, and maybe none more so than the past couple of weeks.

see, there have been lots of distractions.  i got a ton of responsibility literally overnight at work (on may 1st).  there are roaches in my apartment.  i got a new roommate.  the air conditioning at lululemon stopped working.  dancers dropped out of the show.  i don't have any groceries in my house and i don't have much cash in my bank account.  and they haven't all been bad - quite the contrary - i got engaged, for goodness' sake.

it just never stops.  ever.  it's one thing after another, day in and day out, there are always about 82 million things that are calling my attention, issues that need my help, little fires to put out.

the big lesson here, as stated by david bayles and ted orland, is that "the hardest part of artmaking is living your life in such a way that your work gets done, over and over."

my goodness, that is the TRUTH.  and i think because the magnitude of what i'm working on artistically is larger, and the stakes significantly higher, that life is throwing me everything it's got.  and i calmly thank life for all of the beautiful moments and wonderful challenges and sleepless nights and sweet poignant pangs, and i do my work.

so here we go.  48 hours until the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment