July 12, 2011

living clichés

While gearing up for the Boston fireworks last weekend, I heard Martina McBride sing:

"This is for all you girls about twenty-five
In a little apartment, just trying to get by
Living on, on dreams and spaghetti-o's"

And Sara Bareilles popped up on my iTunes this week, singing:

"I'm gonna quit my job and move to New York"

And here I am, scraping by in an apartment in Brooklyn, practicing yoga, cleaning dance studios for classes, and making my own kale chips.   It's kind of strange to suddenly find myself living a kind of life that people mention in songs (?!)  Sometimes I feel like a giant walking cliché.

But then-- don't fit me perfectly into the mold.  (Enter geeky Harry Potter obsession, engineering degree, love of pretty makeup, lack of enthusiasm for most indie films.)  Just a nice reminder that all the "cliches" I see walking around this city are probably just as one-sided as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment