January 1, 2013

Day 1.

Well, happy new year!

It's been a big day already: Northwestern University won its first bowl game since 1949, I saw some fireworks in Prospect Park, and my apartment is so clean.

Additionally, I made an intention for 2013 and taped it to my fridge:


I'm really great at worrying.  I have noticed, though, that as I am now an adult, with a lovely support system, I can usually figure out how to work my way through whatever situation comes up, and worrying about it doesn't really do anything for me.  (I expect this "no worrying" policy will fly out the window when I have kids someday, right Mom?)  For now, I'm trying it out.

In light of this, I have decided to focus, for 30 days, on the new piece of choreography I'm working on. While I have focused on and reworked pieces (sometimes in 3 or 4 performed iterations, countless rehearsal iterations), I'm curious about what it's going to be like to focus on the same piece, every day, for all of January.

The first bit of the piece is set to a reading of a Pablo Neruda poem.  The second bit is a solo piano piece.  Today's work is set to the poem... and is not videotaped.  It is now!(It turns out, my everyday life right now doesn't provide much access to open spaces, so I need to figure that one out!)  It's in my body after a living-room-marked-jam, and it'll be on here in one of the next posts. It's posted below, videotaped January 2nd.



Here's to a focused 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment