April 27, 2013

a good reminder




in college, a professor once told me that my most specific work was the work that had the widest appeal.  here i was, worried that my work was too specific to my experience, my thoughts -- but so many of us learn the same lessons and feel the same feelings.  we just get to it differently.  clear communication of your own experiences and your own ideas get you to a place that others can relate to.

a week from tonight, my sister will have received her diploma from the University of Michigan.  (what a badass, right?! proud.)  i've had my sisterly responses to this -- giving advice, analyzing her performance, and so on... but hearing her talk about her experience of "being done" and moving on to "the next chapter" just takes me right back to spring 2008, and how wonderful and confusing and, frankly, bittersweet the whole celebration was.

five years later, i can hope that i've done my 22-year-old self proud, just as i know grace will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment